Tamron 70-200 G2 Sharper than Nikon 70-200 FL Lens???

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: Tamron 70-200 G2 Sharper than Nikon 70-200 FL Lens???

I had two g2's last summer ... the first was really sharp (yes ... as sharp as my current FL) after days of grueling fine tuning with the infamous tap-in.  But 5,000 releases later the focus motor caved. The second lens would not tune in, and I gave up on Tamron. It had as much as 22 points of variation between adjacent focal lengths!  As a side note, neither G2 would track a person running directly toward me ... hit and miss.  That is something the FL does beautifully.

After the focus motor died, I couldn't help but feel there was a certain fragileness with the Tamron.

I now have at least 40,000 clicks on the FL. It is getting slammed with Tennis and Dog Agility events.  It's scary ... sometimes I think I am abusing my gear by shooting that much.  But so far both D500 with 80k+ and FL are going strong.

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow