ATI FirePro vs NVIDIA Quadro for Lightroom on Windows

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TwoMetreBill Senior Member • Posts: 1,409
ATI FirePro vs NVIDIA Quadro for Lightroom on Windows

I have 5K HP monitor (Z27Q) that is terrific. HOWEVER the Microsoft/Nvidia combo (don't know who to blame) continually breaks support for 5K. It becomes unusable for weeks to months at a time (the record was just under a year). I would replace the monitor with a top quality 4K monitor but I'm looking at $900 and used monitors (no matter the quality) sell for chump change. BTW, the monitor works fine on my wife's iMac so it is not a monitor issue.

Hence I'm considering switching from the current Nvidia Quadro K1200 to a ATI AMD FirePro W5100 4GB GDDR5. While MacPro users are successful with ATI FIrePro cards, the drivers for MacOS are completely different than those for Windows. And as poor as Apple is with testing software updates, Microsoft is worse. (No switching from Windows to Apple is not an option.)

Yes I realize that 5K is essentially dead for Windows and I should probably just cut my losses but the FirePro card is less than 1/3rd the cost of a photo editing capable (99+% Adobe RGB) monitor such as the ViewSonic VP2785. Gaming performance is of absolutely no interest to me so the FirePro (assuming that it works well with Lightroom) should be plenty fast.

-- hide signature --

Bill

TwoMetreBill's gear list:TwoMetreBill's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow