Apollo Mission Photographs - Hasselblad

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris Dodkin
MOD Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,028
Apollo Mission Photographs - Hasselblad

July 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the first manned moon landing, a milestone in the history of humankind, and one of those times in my life where I can remember exactly where I was, and what I was doing.

The actual night of the Moon landing on 20/21 July was also historic for British TV, as it was the first all-night broadcast on British television, with both BBC1 and ITV remaining on air for 11 hours from 11.30 p.m. on 20 July to 10.30 a.m. the following morning.

Neil Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the Moon at 3:56 a.m. British time - my dad woke me up and got me and my sister sitting in front of the black and white Bush TV to watch it live.

He also built me a 1:70 Scale APOLLO 11 model Kit from Tamiya, so that I could re-create the whole experience, playing in my bedroom!

The CSM even had a motor and clear propeller that fitted in the main engine, so it could be hung from a plastic moon on the ceiling, and under battery power, it would rapidly orbit the moon whilst I laid on my bed and dreamed of space.

All of this nostalgia was triggered as I watched the CNN debut of their Apollo 11 movie last night - which is a stunning restoration of large format film shot during the mission, edited to tell the story along with sound bites from TV and radio broadcasts, and audio from NASA mission comms. The image clarity on some of this footage is breathtaking - and well worth a look. It's so clean and clear that it almost looks like CGI at times.

For those, like me, interested in the photography from the Apollo missions, I'd recommend getting a copy of Apollo: VII – XVII by Floris Heyne - which is a coffee table book of stunning Hasselblad images, taken during the Apollo missions.

225 of these photographs in large print format. Restoring imagery from the original scans of 70mm film rolls the astronauts shot during the program.

The book contains a variety of images, ranging from shots taken through the windows of the Command Module of the specular views found on the Earth’s surface, surreal and abstract black and white photography of the lunar surface, to photographs of each of the 12 men in their space suits walking on the surface of the moon.

The book is suitably big, measuring 11.8 x 11.8 x 1.5 inches

Worth the price of admission which ever way you look at it - the fact that we were able to take these images at all, 50 years ago, is still amazing.

Accompanying these extraordinary Apollo photographs are little-known insider facts and fascinating insights into the Apollo missions, including a detailed Foreword from NASA astronaut, Walter Cunningham.

Can't recommend it enough - you might want to grab a copy now before anniversary fever kicks in and they sell out!

Amazing photographs of an amazing spaceflight series, taken by amazing people.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +41 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow