Tamron 70-200 G2 Sharper than Nikon 70-200 FL Lens???

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Re: Tamron 70-200 G2 Sharper than Nikon 70-200 FL Lens???

Hi mbecke, let's see some examples of what you did and what you saw. I have both now (thanks to the great deal on the FL) and I've used my G2 for well over a year for portraits.

My FL has a problematic left side so it's going back this week and I'm getting a replacement. However over the rest of the frame, particularly in the center, when both lenses nail focus or I use Life View/CDAF to achieve proper focus, I certainly get the same sharpness from the G2 as the FL from f/2.8 on up. The G2 is a terrific lens by all accounts, and bested for Nikon shooters only by the FL in terms of IQ.

But what I don't like is that the G2's AF reliability isn't adequate for me with running kids (my sons are 1 and 4) and the FL seems to be doing a significantly better job such that even my wife told me to sell the G2. Even mostly stationary poses with the G2 have proven problematic with my old D750 (since sold), D850, or Z6 (after firmware update) with some great sharp shots most of the time and some wonderful images that go to the garbage because the AF missed THAT ONE POSE that would have been great.

So short answer is yes - the G2 may very well look as good or maybe even better than the FL in the center, but I expect the FL to be better in the outer 1/2 or 1/3.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon D3500 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow