Does the Canon 80D have 2 independent dials, top and back or can they only control the same thing.

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NOLA cam Junior Member • Posts: 30
Does the Canon 80D have 2 independent dials, top and back or can they only control the same thing.

Have and old Rebel T5 and thinking about upgrading. Maybe to 80D, 77D or SL3. I have some nice Canon glass.

Usually use an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II with a 14-150 f 4-5.6 lens. It is a good, small and light weight system, just over 1/2 the weight of an 80D + 18-135mm lens. I love that the Oly M5ii and M1ii both have dual dials or flywheels on the top right. Using forefinger or thumb I can instantly change f stop or EV settings at the same time, using the front dial for one and the real dial for the other. The dials are also independently programmable in the Oly menu. Only issue is that the live view when changing EV is not always accurate and sometimes simply does not work, perhaps in ¼-1/3 of the time.

Went to Best Buy and saw that the 80D had a top dial and a rear dial (maybe 2, one inside the other). Seemed like the top and rear dials changed the same function and could not be programmed for maybe the top to change f stop and maybe the real dial to change EV. As best as I could tell, these dials could only change f stop or EV, 1 at a time, and requiring slogging through menus to change the dials from doing one or the other. For the way I like to do things this would not be desired. Also could not figure out if Canon offered a live view preview of what the pics might look like when changing the EV. Seemed like Canon only offered EV bracketing through a range of values, rather simply shooting a desired change, eg, -0.7 or +1.0, etc.

FWIW the small Sony A6x00 series cameras seemed similar in requiring menu changes to alter top dial function, but appeared easier than Canon for the purpose.

Any hints, tips or redirects for info much appreciated

From New Orleans with love….

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70) Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D Canon EOS 80D Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow