EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

The camera's lower-resolution modes are scaling full-size sensor data down.  EX zoom scales sensor data down from a crop.  i.Zoom scales data up in connection with edge enhancement (which is i.Resolution when not scaling up at the same point of time).  That gives you a higher resolution not backed by optical resolution while EX zoom gives you a lower resolution than the optical resolution.  Digital zoom does not do simultanous edge enhancement.

i.Zoom is worse at the pixel level than EX zoom but has more pixels.  Fully extended EX zoom is just a central crop to the final resolution.

I'd not call i.Zoom superior to EX zoom but you'll find people swearing by it, sometimes not even using the result on devices showing more pixels than a plain crop would deliver.  Personally I just use raw and retain the option to use whatever level of edge anhancement and cropping/scaling I find appropriate, even though either operation does not happen in-camera.

Personally, I very much like my images to look good at the pixel level even when having less nominal resolution so I refrain from using more pixels than the sensor delivers.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow