A7iii/riii - best way to control which face camera focuses on with eye/face detect?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phynesse
phynesse Regular Member • Posts: 107
A7iii/riii - best way to control which face camera focuses on with eye/face detect?

Hi all,

scenario: I use EyeAF (AF Wide, AF-C) along with face detect on. when people enter the frame, they are indicated with a squiare around the face. Here already, the camera chooses itself one face to focus on, should I decide to half-/press shutter button and highlights the square white. the other face square(s) are grey.

Two questions:

1. What are my options to get the camera to switch to another face?

Only way I ve found is to change from wide to flexible spot and use the joystick to move the spot into another face square and then press shutter. But that is cumbersome and i prefer wide. However, in wide the joystick does nothing. I would expect that joystick input would cycle through available faces, but it doesnt. Am I missing something?

2. what are the criteria the camera uses to select faces. sometimes it switches by itself, but it doesnt seem to do it based on proximity or placement... any insights?

yes, i know about registering priority faces, but this doesnt apply to my shooting scenarios.

Thanks!

Sebastian

phynesse's gear list:phynesse's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7 +18 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow