How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,232
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

Cagey75 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Cagey75 wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

Cagey75 wrote:

If that is the case I don't see why anyone would want it over the already excellent 16-55 2.8? Sure, it's shorter, but give me the 2.8 over a bit of extra reach any day of the week.

It’s not hard to see. Longer reach and OIS.

It is hard to see for me otherwise I wouldn't have posted. For XH1 users like me ois is insignificant, and a bit of extra reach is doing what exactly?

I would guess taking pictures with that focal length? For example when traveling, as in pic below, 105mm FF at f4.

It is often nice going from 24mm to 105mm with just one lens:

Going to 120mm is even better.

Because at f4 it's not great for portraiture, it's too short for wildlife, what exactly is the region between 55 and 80 at f4 doing for you that people are so excited for?

Plenty of examples available, and a standard f4 zoom is a favourite of many pros, inclusive.

At that price I think I'd much rather have the 18-55 and a 90 f2 but hey, let people spend their money how they like. I just can't see the excitement.

Horses for courses. Sure, I like to use the 90 f2 also.

People seem to think it's going to be a lot smaller and lighter than the 16-55, I doubt it.

We will see. But that has been the norm thus far.

If it's longer and also has ois, then it's not going to be small, lighter perhaps if its mostly plastic. Even if I needed the ois I'd find this hard to get exited about. The 18-135 already exists.

Another option, but f4 at tele is better.

I understand the FL side of it, but not the price as I said, if this was a $500 lens we're talking I think it would be fantastic. But for $1000? Not so much. I mean, the 55-200 already does F4 around 80mm but it's more versatile besides if you pair that with the 18-55. And you can get both of those for about 700 used in great condition

There are several sides to this. The 16-80 f4 can also pair very well with the 10-24 f4.

As for the price, please name a standard f4 zoom that is 500 USD, and has OIS and WR. 1000 USD is the common price for such lenses. From what we know already, Fuji X WR lenses are very well built and robust. As you say, existing lenses that cover the same focal length are not as well built (WR).

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow