RAW DR (M5)...

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,434
RAW DR (M5)...

I don´t know, but owning the M5 and the Nikon D750, it´s not as clearcut as it seems (according to tests).

What I´ve found, Canon´s own converter DPP can´t recover as much shadow detail as other converters, quite simply because the slider for the shadow push doesn´t go far enough. This is rather puzzling.

Yesterday I did many shots with-2 and -3 EV exposure to get decent sunstars and only with Luminar - not with the DPP - could I lift the shadows to the desired degree. But the result after the lift was totally o.k., so the DR is actually pretty good (Canon M5, same sensor as SL2, D80 etc.). I shot in the early evening with F22 and don´t know right know, what Auto ISO had dialed in.

The D750 may have even more DR, but I don´t see the relevance, as a -3 EV exposure is already pretty extreme, large parts of the pictures were totally black before the shadow lift in post. Maybe if one wants for a result that looks like a HDR shot, which I really dislike and never aim for.

-- hide signature --

Waldemar
www.pbase.com/haak

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Nikon D750 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow