Where to go next for a standard zoom?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fletchdirect New Member • Posts: 21
Where to go next for a standard zoom?

I run a F6, F65 and a D3200. The D3200 is just for casual family shots, where I like to take a few landscapes, and walkaround travel photography with the F65 and F6.

I have a fixed budget of £500 and want a new 'walkaround zoom' for film use.

I had a lovely AFS 28-70 2.8 but the motor a CPU failed - and a repair will take up all of my budget and then some more. I

I am using an old 28-80 3.3-5.6G left over from an old F65. It was the kit lens, but I have been really pleased with its sharpness despite its plasticky old feel.

I feel I have 3 to 4 options - would love to have some advice

1) Repair the 28-70 2.8, but kind of fancy a change and if I could get the same or better results without the bulk, would be good.

2) Keep the 28-80 f3.3-5.6G - on the basis that none of the options (bar the 28-70) will improve on it. Anyone have any experience with this?

3) Buy a new Nikon Zoom 24-85 3.5-4.5G VR which is just under £500 here in the UK.

4) Buy a used option for £250 say, but what? Apparently option 3 is a super sharp lens and will be tough to beat, looks more like a kit lens to me.

Am shooting Ektachrome, Ektar 100 and Velvia at f5.6 and f8 mainly and 'sharpness wide open' is of no interest to me. I already have 35, 50 and 85 primes - but need one lens for travel. I used to run Canon with a 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM and could never get a really sharp and vibrant result from that.

Your help would be much appreciated!!!!

Cheers.

Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow