Canon 100D Sharpness Settings

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Lone Stranger New Member • Posts: 12
Canon 100D Sharpness Settings

I am playing with my wife's 100D, as I sold all my Sony cameras, and, for what I need, the 100D seems to do it all, apart from one thing: the default sharpening settings in JPEGs. I am not keen on shooting RAW when out and about, and I was not very pleased with the default sharpening settings. Upon further investigation I found out that the 100D's sharpening settings in Picture Styles, which only show 'Sharpness' level are a bit raw. Comparing them with the later EOS DSLRs, the 100D is lacking the 'Unsharp Mask' setting. All the sharpening on 100D looks like it is set to a 'Fineness' of 4, and a 'Threshold' or 4, in equivalent terms for the newer cameras with 'Unsharp Mask'. In DPP I can make the raw files look much better to my eye by reducing the 'Unsharp Mask' to a 'Fineness' of 1 or 2, and a 'Threshold' of about 2 from they default of 4 in 100D RAW files.

I noticed that the Picture Style files with extension pf3 can store the extra sharpening information, but pf2 cannot. So I used the Picture Style Editor to generate a pf3 file with extra sharpening information and I tried to load it onto my 100D, and while it got loaded, only the 'Strength' was taken into account, the extra detail settings did notget applied, and seemed to have defaulted to 4.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there really a way to modify the sharpening details on the 100D to get JPEG's that look like I want them to? Any help would be very welcome.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow