As unbiased as can be please? Help needed.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,538
Re: native & OEM is better than adapted and 3rd party

DenImage wrote:

"I will bookmark this thread and get back once I see someone complaining about the AF compatibility once Sony issued a new firmware for existing or new bodies in a few months from now"

:

Really???

I've updated the firmware on my camera bodies and the Tamron worked without any issues after the update. You're just scaremongering.

Your broad sweeping statement that "native & OEM is better than adapted and 3rd party" may apply to some brands/models, but not all. So just retract, then move on.

Den

all about opinions and personal experiences - I am in the electronics industry for three decades in different functions plus my photo activities and one thing stayed over time constant - almost never (I surely find one occasion in case I search long enough in my memory) I had an ongoing incompatibility with OEM equipment - over time all of them were removed by the OEM - in case there were some at all.

I had dozens of really painful incompatibilities with 3rd party gear and lots of work and most annoying personal stress when things did not work as expected.

I avoid wherever possible 3rd party tools, batteries and/or lenses.

The Ming from the Batis lenses I've tested was not satisfying enough - especially compare to the GM lenses and the Samyang 35 I've had was not usable for my work - sub par to anything I've ever tested - hunting, missing Eye-AF and unreliable.

I am not experimenting - I know that there are many out that happily trade in perceived price savings for a bit of inconvenience. Please do not get annoyed by my opinion - just go on.

In case you're like me a perfectionist this is hurting a lot - even a color scheme on the casing and/or a missing feature like the programmable button on the lens or the missing aperture ring is annoying to me.

In case you want the utmost real world compatibility go for OEM gear.

BTW - I have programmed the button on the lens for switching between Animal and Eye AF - I guess many have different ideas how to use this button - for me this is an excellent usage and a lens without such a button is not ticking the important boxes for me.

The lens selection of primes at Sony is outstanding - especially the GM 135 is a joy to use!

(I'd never trade in my GM 135 for e.g. a 24-105 - my G12-24 is sharper than my top notch primes - that's a very good argument to use a zoom that replaces basically 2..3 primes - but in case we'd get a GM 14 and/or 15 f/1.X I'd happily replace it)

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow