Monday Memories (Remembering my Sony A55)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Skyler King
Skyler King Regular Member • Posts: 158
Monday Memories (Remembering my Sony A55)

I have been living in Taiwan since the summer of 2013. Around New Years of 2013, I decided that Taiwan was too beautiful to not be taking photos of, so I bought my very first camera.

It was a used Sony A55 that I purchased simply because it was the cheapest used camera that the camera shop had. I only had the kit lens for it.

Knowing nothing of photography or gear, I started out shooting in full-auto, jpeg only, and my only form of "editing" the way a photo looked was to use one of the in-camera filters, like "B&W" for example.

Well, while searching through one of my old external drives, I stumbled across this photo;

It was one of the very first photos I took with my Sony A55 on the first night that I had it. I was sitting at a desk next to our bed and I was trying out the "B&W" filter.

Though it is not a masterpiece or technically perfect, I love this photo. Aside from the sentimental value attached to it, I am reminded of just how capable these older cameras were, even the non-pro cameras.

I then found this photo that was taken a couple of months later, in February of 2014

Again, not technically perfect. However, while looking at the file info I realized that this was shot at ISO 1,600.

It is a SOOC jpeg on an old APS-C camera with a kit lens, at ISO 1,600 (considered high for APS-C, especially at that time) and, without pixel peeping, just looking at the photo normally, I am happy with it.

Anyway, thanks for checking out my trip down memory lane

Skyler King's gear list:Skyler King's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow