Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,109
Re: Pentax 26mp APSC in the works

miles green wrote:

DougOB wrote:

bob5050 wrote:

DougOB wrote:

5r82 wrote:

They better come with K-1 III with 50 Mpx in 2020. In crop mode this camera would give 33 Mpx and that is already more than 26 Mpx. So, Pentaxian having both full frame and APS-C lenses would be happy...

Except that I do want a camera that big and heavy...

But 5r82 still has a point. No one with a reasonable number of DA lenses and on the fence about 'moving up' is going to buy a FF camera that then gives them less resolution than they already have. A crop mode of > 24-26mpx might encourage more current APS-C owners to upsize.

Me, I'm still holding out for the K3.next.

I would say "might" is the operative word here. Have we every done a survey on why APS users have not moved to FF? cost? size? Or conversely what would make them move.

Doug

Now that I'm all FF with the K1ii, including lenses, i can tell you what would push me to add aps-c, in order of importance.

a. Video. And in particular, AF during video, with face detection and tracking. (just keep my kids in focus will you?)

b. speed and range: smaller pixels, more fps, much bigger buffer, and whatever AF improvements are possible

c. size - DA limited lenses a must.

Indeed, these reasons are enough for any FF DSLR user to keep a secondary APS-C DSLR system alongside. I hope the new Pentax APS-C DSLR is well-equipped to do all these things, but it’s the first one that seems tricky with the current lens line-up (assuming it has all the AF features in camera). For video work, essentially you need PLM (VCM/SSM/STM, etc.; it’s the same thing with different names) with near-silent autofocus. For a better video work, we also need fixed aperture throughout zoom. For best video work, we also need optical image stabilization + electronic zoom. Ideally, something like Sony 18-105 F4 G OSS PZ with all the features, or the Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM without the electronic zoom and optical stabilization.

Here’s an example footage of 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM:

https://youtu.be/NloptA6kyw8

None of this is new technology anymore, but whether Ricoh/Pentax thinks this is a priority is a different debate altogether

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow