As unbiased as can be please? Help needed.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,855
Re: As unbiased as can be please? Help needed.

Focus Lock wrote:

SilvanBromide wrote:

Focus Lock wrote:

hi guys,

this question could also be posed on the Nikon forum but I’m hoping to get your help as ex Nikon users here.

my issue is that I have bought the Sony a7iii and 24-105, as well as the 55 1.8 and now the Samyang 85mm. These primes have had very little use and the 85 wide open i found problems with eye AF. I do love the Sony though and have enjoyed using it with the 24-105. It’s a keeper.

i am now faced with having my Nikon d500 and 200-500 lens which is great for sports and wildlife. Very fast and accurate. I also have the 16-35 lens; 50 mm1.8; 70-200.

Now all these are FF lenses and I am now stuck as to wanting a FF body like the d850 to use these lenses or should I sell up these lenses and move to the A7riii and it’s prime equivalents? On one hand I am trying to put my eggs into one system and on the the other I feel I could lose less money by keeping the Nikon gear but then I’d be running a FF Nikon, a CROP sensor Nikon and the FF Sony.

Sorry for the long question but how can I best sort this out?

A lot depends on what attracted you to the Sony a7iii and mirrorless in general.

One option might be to consider the Nikon Z6 or Z7, which would allow you to adapt your F glass with good results - and that might be a good middle ground between staying with the a7iii or going for something like a D850.

On the other hand, migrating across to FE-only could also make some sense, particularly if you are enjoying the a7iii. When I first moved to Sony I had a lot of dSLR lenses and gear - some of which I used with adapters - but over time I've sold most of it and replaced with native FE alternatives. I now have a FF and crop body (both Sony) and for me that made sense.

Yes I didn’t say why I bought the Sony... I bought it having looked a lot online into size v performance for an all rounder camera . The FF sensor, low noise and dynamic range really did attract me. I was using the Fuji XT2 for this but the Sony FF is definitely better. And I have to say that I bought the A7iii instead of the R version because I felt it had a great balance of these features. I didn’t expect to need the extra pixels but I now think extra pixels would be great for landscape and perhaps even wildlife if cropping. Maybe I’m chasing more pixels and don’t need to?! I still feel having two systems is a bit confusing for someone who wants to streamline and really use my gear rather than have it sat on a shelf.

The extra pixels of the a7Riii are mainly useful if you want to be able to crop heavily, or if you may have call (now or in the future) to make large format prints.

But, cost aside, it's a bit of a trade-off because the file sizes are larger (which means slower writes and transfers, and more disk space required). It works for me, in what I do (i.e. for me, the benefits outweigh any disadvantages), but it's not for everyone...

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow