10-100mm non-power zoom aperture failure

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Greenberg Regular Member • Posts: 468
10-100mm non-power zoom aperture failure

I had not used my Nikon 1 10-100mm f4-5.6 zoom in a while, but it was safely stored. Today I discovered that there is an issue with the electronics as related (I think) to the aperture control system. When the lens is mounted on a camera body the viewfinder or rear display is dark until the lens is zoomed most of the way out. When there is an image displayed, the exposure information seems several stops off (indicating what would normally be overexposure). As I zoom in and out the display flickers too bright and then dark unpredictably. I cleaned the contacts and tried the lens on 3 different N1 bodies. The problem is consistently the same.

I understand some N1 lenses have been prone to an "aperture control unit problem." This may be what is happening here. Has anyone reading this encountered this issue? I assume I need to send the lens to Nikon for any possible repair. And if the repair is really expensive (I would say over $150) it probably is not worth it, given that the whole N1 system will likely not be supported for a whole lot longer.

Any experiences to share?

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow