Printing small prints with different cameras - findings

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 21,015
Printing small prints with different cameras - findings

I've done this before but not for a few years.

For a long time I have been looking for a compact camera to complement my main cameras. There have been a multitude of these over the years but none ever completely met my needs.

The best I have owned (for me) has been the Fuji X10. It's small, but not too small, and it scores highly on "cameraness". But I have always had reservations for various reasons, one being that the way I configure it for extended dynamic range it is only a 6MP camera. 6MP doesn't seem enough, does it?

I've been considering the various small 1" sensor options but the only one that seem interesting as a camera (the Canon G5x) has some issues and I have never felt the money needed to acquire one justified when I have a perfectly functional X10. It's just that 6MP problem that has been playing on my mind that keeps me pondering about replacing it.

Anyway, today I decided to do a print comparison between my 6MP 2/3" sensor X10 and my 20MP 1" sensor FZ1000 bridge camera (excellent camera). I decided to throw the DP2M into the mix just to see what a real high resolution camera could do.

There is no doubt what the result would be for a large print comparison but the largest print size I can make at the moment is 11" x 8" on A4 paper. So, at that print size, would you expect to see any difference between a 6MP small sensor, a 20MP sensor 2x the area and a APS-C sensor with a 15MP Foveon Merrill sensor?

The short answer is no discernable difference at all in detail rendition in the print from all 3 cameras. Edit:  I can make the prints look different from one another by messing with post-processing (Merrill can get very crunchy if desired) but no noticeable detail differences.

So, what is the reason? Human eyesight maxed out? Limitation of printer resolution? Something else?

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow