Nikon D850 Video - no LOG

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
Nikon D850 Video - no LOG

With lack of LOG recording mode, what is the best workflow for getting the most dynamic range out of my footage in post?

Best I can see, it's the Picture Control setting in the Movie Shooting Menu, set to Neutral with perhaps a minus value for contrast.

I plan on doing some comparisons, but if anybody's already done this and has some guidance, I'd appreciate pointers. Perhaps pointers with the test methods, at least.

My thoughts are to find a relatively high-contrast scene and record it in SD (standard), then in Neutral with contrast on 0, then all minus values.

I have a set of LUTs to apply, including some neutral / natural (not overly vivid) ones to apply to the test samples.

I can say that I spent the day shooting a bunch of video at some awesome rivers in the forest near my area and while some shots looked promising, they were all disappointing due to over-contrasty sequences, details lost in shadow after bringing the highlights down to avoid blowing them.

Any tips? Discuss.

Thanks, Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow