Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
LoneTree1 Contributing Member • Posts: 922
Re: Camera phones and YOU.

sportyaccordy wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

Raymond Cho wrote:

Isn't there an increase in travelling and dining - perhaps the experiencing type rather than activities.

Yes, especially millenials who want "experiences" and not worldly goods.

So have you just considered that millenials aren't interested in the same things you are?

Probably in most cases. There have been articles about it. Even cars are not selling to young men like they did in the past, though this may have as much to do with the 30% drop is testosterone in the last 25 years than anything else. My thoughts on it are, "you can eat at a decent restaurant twice, and have nothing to show for it except a memory" or you can buy a used lens. I'd opt for the lens if I had to make a choice.

Cars aren't selling as much to young people because they are saddled with student loan debt.

As far as your thoughts, why should someone have "something to show" for the things they buy? You seem to be missing the point entirely. I've been fortunate in having been able to travel and have fancy camera gear.... but if I had to pick between one or the other I'd choose the travel every time. Older generations are obsessed with their toys and trinkets... millenials have seen the pitfalls of mindless consumerism and to a degree have shyed away from it.

The "pitfalls" have been a hugely high standard of living. Millenials want to go back to when the average person lived hand to mouth, let them.  Their "experience" will be if they ever get a job.  You want to see what a consumerless society looks like?  Take a look at some of the Middle Eastern countries without oil wealth.  Then crow about "consumerism."

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow