Considering an 80D - any older Pentax users?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
coaltrain Regular Member • Posts: 271
Considering an 80D - any older Pentax users?

I am looking hard at the refurbished 80D kit for sale on the Canon site. It consists of an 80D of course, plus EF-S 18-55 & EF-S 55-250 IS STM.

I've been an avid Pentax user since going digital way back when. My last body was a K5-IIs. My favorite lenses were the DA* 600-250 and DA* 300. These are Pentax's top of the line lenses in that class. I was 100% satisfied with that setup.

I shoot wildlife and stillscapes in the forest. I live in the boonies and shoot only around my home. So I am shooting in low light under the canopy. I only shoot stills on a tripod or laying on the ground.

Budget is a concern right now - that is what made me look twice at the 80D bundle. However, in my research I see that it has an AA filter. My Pentax body did not and I attribute a lot of the sharpness of my images to that. So now I am turned off a bit with the 80D - should I be?

And to add here - I always shot RAW and ran most of my images through DxO with great results. Will I be OK with the AA filter? Will DxO help me with that?

Sorry - I am just getting hung up on the AA filter vs. my old Pentax less the AA filter.

And lenses - I realize these are kit lenses. I am used to the pro grade lenses. But....I am basically starting over again with a meager budget. I know with some patience and putting my skill to work I can make them work for the time being.

Any opinions?

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow