Time to swap out my D800 has arrived

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tektrader Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Time to swap out my D800 has arrived

Just got back from a 3 week trip to Italy using my D800, 24-120 F4 and 16mm fisheye.

I have had this camera since new close to release date. I had a few issues with focussing but not the dreaded left focus inconsistency. It didn't have the same focus point in live view and through the viewfinder. Nikon fixed it under warranty.

I tended to write off the regular random OOF shot to my ability to hold it still and until this trip didn't worry too much about it, trying to keep the shutter speed up as much as possible.

It became very obvious a few weeks ago that mirror slap and shutter shock on this camera are really very bad, more than I ever realised. I had poor results inside many churches we went to, as the shutter speed dropped. So much so I ended up using auto ISO and minimum shutter speeds of 500th and maximum ISO of 2000 to get reasonably sharp results. Sadly many times It ended up being at ISO 2000 with its associated noise issues.

It's still very sharp but the weight and this issue have finally worn me down.

I am thinking Z6 and selling all my lenses except the 200-400 f4.

Only thing that irks me is I love my Nikkor 16mm fisheye. I wont be able to keep that one as its mechanical auto focus and no other solution is in sight. I don't want to use the FTZ if I can avoid it and would leave it attached to the 200-400.

So Z6 with 14-30 F4s, 24-70 F4s when is the release of the 70-200 S

My take so far is the S zooms seem to out perform most of the F mount primes as well as the F zooms.

Comments ?

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +3 more
Nikon D800 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow