Canon EOS7D for 50+ Beginner

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Merlin1736 New Member • Posts: 9
Canon EOS7D for 50+ Beginner

Hi Folks

I've always had point and shoot camera's, but go to a lot of Airshows and Motorcycle Racing events, so looking to have a go with a DSLR for the first time.

One of the lads at work has lent me a Canon EOS 7D, which was his departed Dads, and hasn't been used for a couple of years. It comes with an EFS 15-85mm lens, battery grip with 2 batteries, charger, camera bag and a 32Gb CF card. I know the lens is no were near what I need for Airshows, but it might just do me for BSB/WSB bike racing .

It's a complicated beast, and I find it to heavy with the grip, so will probably use it without, although I would need to get a replacement battery cover, as that has been removed.

As I've no idea how to fully check if everything is working, I followed a guide on here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53923105 which explains in great detail what to do. Everything was going OK, (I even managed to get gPhoto to work on Linux to give me the shutter count, which is around 10,000), until it came to checking out the sensor,and I seem to have a small mark towards the bottom right of the screen.

As I don't have another lens to check it with, I don't know for sure if the mark is on the sensor or the lens, if it's the sensor, the guide I've been following says they sometimes won't come clean or may even get damaged, but I just wonder if it's going to be noticeable ??

Anyway, the lad is asking £200, I know it's an old model by today's standards, but it looks enough of a challenge for me to master.

What do you guys think ?

Many thanks for your time

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow