Why would B&H promote this??

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,235
Re: No one can possibly be this dense

Marty4650 wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

I have read the offer and don't see anything about it only being for online purchases, so I assume the cashback will be applied for all purchases, as long as you are using their Payboo card. If I am wrong about this, then HenryP will probably correct me.

B&H Payboo Card FAQ wrote:

"When you use the Payboo Credit Card to pay for purchases made in our SuperStore or shipped to eligible states, B&H will charge the total of the merchandise plus applicable fees and taxes; but we will instantly issue and apply a reward at checkout."

I suppose that if your home state charges sales/use tax, but does not force B&H to collect it for them, there would be no "reward". Also, I'm not sure how things work if you shop in their store, but live in another state.

Tom, the way I understand it it shouldn't matter.

The interesting thing here is that if you live in a zero sales tax state, then you gain no benefit or get any reward. Unlike other rewards which are equally applied no matter where you live, this one is intended to "save you the tax" by paying it for you. So if you weren't paying a tax, then you would get no reward as reimbursement.

Remember, everything changed with the last supreme court ruling. Prior to that ruling you paid local sales tax ONLY if the vendor had a physical presence in your state.

This meant that Amazon customers in 26 states had to pay local sales taxes, because Amazon had a physical presence in those 26 states, and that B&H customers had to pay local sales taxes if they lived in New York or New Jersey, where B&H had a physical presence.

But now it doesn't matter where you live. If your city or state imposes a sales tax, then the sender must collect it and send it to their government. I imagine that the same will apply for eBay transactions, and that eBay will develop an easy way for them to collect it and remit it, rather than burdening the seller with this task.

The FAQ section on B&H lists several states this does not apply to, although some do have a local sales tax:

The tax-equivalent loyalty reward offer is not available on orders shipped to any jurisdiction that does not require B&H to collect and remit state and/or local sales or use tax (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Montana, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia, as of May 1, 2019).

Cheers,
Doug

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow