Let's Put an End to High Speed Sync!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Barlowephoto
Barlowephoto Regular Member • Posts: 339
Let's Put an End to High Speed Sync!

I'm always impressed looking at some of the better examples of people's images using high speed sync in sunlight. This use of high shutter speeds and wide lens apertures to create almost three dimensional effects, which can be reminiscent of using large format film cameras of the past. Unfortunately, there are many limitations to shooting HSS in trying to overpower ambient sunlight.

Since so much flash power is wasted in producing the pulsating "continuous lighting" phenomenon, being able to shoot from great distances or using lighting modifiers can be a challenge. Of course, the alternative to using HSS is to use conventional flash, but using wide lens apertures at traditional flash sync shutter speeds, requires the use of extremely dark neutral density filters over the camera lens. The resulting light loss to the camera's OVF can make seeing your subject very difficult. However, the recent introduction of mirrorless cameras, with their exceptionally bright EVF's, leads me to suggest, that high speed sync may no longer be necessary ( or for that matter, even desirable ).

Conventional speedlight systems have evolved so completely, that few users have any degree of difficulty in producing beautiful multiflash images of impeccable quality. Utilizing the appropriate ND filter, reduces the intensity of the sunlight, to almost that of indoor lighting. This allows us to use a more conventional flash regimen, freeing us from all of the technical burdens of the HSS protocol. We can finally use our favorite indoor lighting techniques, outdoors. We can even combine the use of speedlights, strobelights, monolights, and whatever else we're used to shooting with indoors!

I'd heartily welcome your thoughts and feedback. .........Jeff Barlowe

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow