Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,665
Re: Shift APSC only.

robertfel wrote:

Did you even watch the video? It clearly shows the crop needed is no where near 1.5x.

I didn't have time at that moment to watch 15 minutes worth of videos. However your link:

"3:36 shows how much vignetting there is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RdiJPSH5uA"

shows that yes in fact the shifted corners do go completely black on Full Frame.  For me that would get old real fast.

I totally agree about the hassle. I've spent thousands of dollars to avoid hassles and wastes of time. If I were shooting small interiors professionally, I'd get the Nikon 19mm for $3,400. On the occasion I shoot interiors, they're large retail spaces, so my 14mm suffices.

Cool.

But for someone not making $1,000 per home, it's a good place to start. And budget may be a concern to the OP and others.

I don't think I'd recommend this lens to anyone getting started in r/e photography.  You can go very very far with just an ultrawide zoom.  Indefinitely, actually.  If you get serious about the business, then you should consider a real TS lens.  As the other video said, the shift mechanism is just a bonus for someone who is buying the lens for ultrawide macro.  For someone like an r/e shooter who primarily wants a TS lens, this would be money wasted that could have been saved for the real thing.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow