Camera phones and YOU.

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,580
Re: Fun with the phone camera

57even wrote:

Yes, but FF isn't really defining the camera market, any more than Mercedes define the state of the car market. The recent offerings in the D3xxx and Canon Rebel market offer very little over the previous versions.

And that's the part of the market which is declining fast.

I would argue the opposite... just in the last year or so we've had 3 new FF systems launch. I think Sony has made 2 FE bodies for every APS-C E body over the same period. And I'm not even going to get into lenses. As you said the entry level crop bodies offer very little over previous versions. Why? Maybe it's manufacturers fueling a death spiral. Or maybe they have concluded that huge investments and upgrades at the bottom will yield very little payback.

Obviously if you don't care about any of that then the D6xx is a steal... and I'd wager for many old DSLRs are more than enough. But IQ hasn't been a reason to upgrade in some time now. Even Sony's top IQ camera uses an old sensor.

Hence the major decline in the frequency with which people upgrade.

Again this only makes sense if you think IQ is the only reason people upgrade. For most it hasn't since 2012.

And like I said, even sales of high-end phones are faltering. When you can get a very good phone for $100, not many people are that bothered about spending $700. When you talk about usability and convenience, you have to consider price as well.

People in the market for $700 phones are not looking at $100 phones, and vice versa... just like people in the market for D850s aren't cross shopping them against D3400s.

Plus faltering in the phone world means no longer growing. And even with that, the numbers are still massive. Apple still sells 200 million Iphones a year at $800 a pop... it's very possible 1 year of Iphone sales dwarf all DILC sales ever. And on top of that ILC sales are in complete freefall. So smartphones are only relevant in terms of their impact on camera sales.... smartphone sales are totally irrelevant in the context of cameras, outside of reminding folks about the relative scale.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow