Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
OP stanton Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
Re: Looks great!

WryCuda wrote:

It occurs to me that your laptop should be nearly good enough for photo editing, and yes, SSD does transform the performance of most computers...

This is my first Dell, and also my first PC with no spinning disk(s). I have an external USB HDD for travel, while at home, there's plenty of network storage.

Ya know... Your statement is very interesting and thought provoking... and eye opening.

My 10 year old Sony laptop with duo core technology has been rocking just about everything. It was so good that when the original display died I paid to have it replaced and don't regret that for a second. I didn't realize it, but it only has a 300Gb HDD... so a $60 500GB SSD would be a double upgrade. I have (temporarily) purchased partition assistant and have a SATA docking station arriving today to help sort out my SATA drives from my old computer(s).

What I didn't realize was the monitor that I bought that's hooked up to the Sony was purchased in 2013 and is a ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920 x 1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/ Speakers 300 cd/m2 ASCR 10,000,000:1.  It even has a "display port"... and I didn't even know what that was until this week !  As I'm not a tech guy is there anything you can tell me about this monitor?   I did hook it up to the new computer via HDMI and while it doesn't appear to be *quite* as sharp as my NEC monitor, perhaps it's because the NEC has a sharpness adjustment control while I don't think the ASUS does.  I get 1920x1080 from the ASUS while the NEC gets 1920x1200.  Is the difference the aspect ratio?

And so I think the game plan is to hang on, save my nickels and dimes and when it's time I'll go all in for a monitor commensurate with the quality of the computer and its graphics capability.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow