Z7 auto ISO seems seriously flawed

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Re: then don't use it

j2scriba wrote:

I would disagree, and that’s precisely why I brought this up:

Indeed, bringing up shadows in post gives you very much the same results as boosting ISO in camera. BUT with uniform high ISO the camera blows out the highlights in a predominantly dark scene. In my experience, that’s unrecoverable in post. But you can boost the shadows in post with no disadvantage over higher ISO in camera.

That’s why I’m unhappy that the auto settings prevents me from accepting seemingly underexposed pictures to recover in post in favor for either blown-out or motion-blurred captures which cannot be fixed.

I tried to explain this motivation in my original post, however most replies seemed eager to to address presumed OP confusion or defend Nikon in some perceived “controversy”. I learned that the auto ISO behavior seems to be a historical relict of giving auto mode users some kind of average proper exposure. Unfortunately, the seemingly advanced settings which non-average users might benefit from are rendered useless by this historic strategy.

I think more people are doing what you want to do than maybe it seems from this thread. In my theater work for example, I typically "underexpose" (including consideration of iso) for the same reasons as you describe: it is much safer to lift images in post production than to be struggling to recover blown highlights.

It's the approach that differs from want you want, that is M mode with fixed shutter and aperture, and auto-iso. As for protecting highlights. this is a matter of how the camera metering is applied as much as anything else.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow