Camera phones and YOU.

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 13,569
Re: Fun with the phone camera

sportyaccordy wrote:

I agree on the IQ point. But IQ hasn't been a huge driver of sales for quite some time now.

And I would suggest that it started around 2012.

It's been usability and convenience. For example yes that D600 is not far off from the Z6 in IQ. But compare the two cameras' autofocus and video capabilities. The Z6 allows you to do a lot more and gives you much more options to get the shot with the same IQ.

Yes, but FF isn't really defining the camera market, any more than Mercedes define the state of the car market. The recent offerings in the D3xxx and Canon Rebel market offer very little over the previous versions.

And that's the part of the market which is declining fast.

Obviously if you don't care about any of that then the D6xx is a steal... and I'd wager for many old DSLRs are more than enough. But IQ hasn't been a reason to upgrade in some time now. Even Sony's top IQ camera uses an old sensor.

Hence the major decline in the frequency with which people upgrade.

And like I said, even sales of high-end phones are faltering. When you can get a very good phone for $100, not many people are that bothered about spending $700. When you talk about usability and convenience, you have to consider price as well.

-- hide signature --

Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilisation?"
Mahatma Gandhi: "I think it would be a very good idea!"

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow