Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 11,288
Re: Why would B&H promote this??

mamallama wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

tbcass wrote:

It's away to avoid paying sales tax. Why gripe about it. It's foolish not to pay any credit card off right away.

Technically, you are still paying the taxes. You are merely getting other benefits (i.e. a rebate on the product purchase) that offset the financial burden of the taxes.

In many states it is illegal for a store to pay the taxes for you. B&H had to be very careful in how they structure this program so that it falls within the letter and spirit of the law.

Yes, it's a disguised loophole to get around certain regulations - sort of a mild con job.

The regulations are designed to:

1. Ensure that the sales taxes are paid
  2. Make sure the tax is collected on the actual purchase price
  3. Make sure the customer knows that sales tax has been collected
  4. Make sure the sales tax is actually paid by the customer (sales taxes paid may warrant a different treatment for tax purposes)

I don't see where this program gets around the letter or the spirit of any of these.

The promotion as I understand it is the customer avoids paying sales tax which violates #4.

You have misunderstood the promotion.

The customer continues to pay the sales tax.

The credit card company provides a cash rebate to the customer which can be used to pay some of the debt.

===-

Correction, that's the description of just about every cash back credit card.  The uniwue things about the PayBoo card are:

• It's can only be used at B&H
  • The cash back rate on some purchases will be higher than what you can get with other cards
 Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow