Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,083
Looks great!

I read this thread with interest, as I also have an older HP tower (6 years old, but was a high end model at the time, so, with the addition of a better graphics card after I got it, it has been fast enough for my photo editing purposes for many years).

Mine still works, but it's getting long in the tooth, and was not amenable to a Win 10 update (proprietary driver stuff, grrrr), so I anticipate having to upgrade it at the end of this year, or early next, when Adobe issues the next version of Photoshop, which will NOT have Win 7 compatibility any longer.

So, I looked at what you ended up with, and it's mighty close to what I would be looking for in a new tower. I think it will work really well for your purposes.

Oh and one other thing: SSDs make the most massive difference in startup times and speed when using programs. I recently got an i5 quad core, 8th gen laptop, with SSD, and not only is the GeekBench performance better than my old desktop (an i7, 3rd gen quad core), but the speed at which it starts up AND starts Photoshop, is just amazing. You will be both amazed and pleased, I think, at the difference that makes.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, and enjoy your new machine!

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow