Re: Oak processionary nest

Bill Borne wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

One nest of two. About 3m from my bedroom window. *Censored*

Zoomed in a little too much I think?????

Depends on just what one wants to see. At the top of the photograph you can see individuals crawling about, at a larger scale that's harder to see. Let me run outside for a moment: the light is still good enough for a non-flash photograph.

Well, almost. Best of three hand-helds showing the two nests left and right of the oak (and my bathroom window).

Here is a closeup shot of the upper part of the right nest (had to use the flash after all):

And here is a crop of that:

And I think now I have a few more pustules.

The landlord said he'll take care of them but he is not one of the fastest and I fear that they may terminally leave the nest for pupating (they leave it in processions some time in the night for feeding frenzies in their current stage but return), ruining the best opportunity for extermination. Those guys are bad news for anybody with skin and/or lungs.

Thanks for that. I wanted to see some kind of context of the nest. Now are they some kind of spider???????

No. they are caterpillars, very toxic ones. In My country they are called pine tree caterpillars or simple Processionary.

they can kill a pine tree in no time but they can be found in others resinous trees

stay away from them, don't try to get rid of them, don't burn them, don't squash them.

they've got those little hairs that can cause tissue necrosis in short period, those hairs can be carried by the wind and can cause severe skin irritation if it lands on skin.

It's a nightmare for dog owners like me because it can lead to very expensive vet bills and if the dog survives (sometimes not) they end up with half of the tongue or blind or both.

But can be equally dangerous for humans.

I hate those things.

Whew never heard of them before!

The oak variant appears to be confined to mostly Northern Europe, the pine variant Southern Europe with some spread to parts of Asia.  Those two appear to be the worst members of the family, so they would likely not make much New World news.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow