Which of these looks sharper/better to you?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 1,263
Re: Which of these looks sharper/better to you?

tbcass wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

The first photo seems slightly more detailed, maybe because the features are simply larger because it's zoomed in closer?

Also, I like the composition of the first photo better, a traditional moon shape. The second photo, due to the shadow, looks like a giant egg.

Also, the 'best' features are right at the edge of the shadow, and with deep shade in the craters. This provides a point of interest for the viewers' eyes.

They are both random crops from a larger photo. The question isn't about composition or points of interest but the technical quality. It's a comparison between 2 different lenses, one a Sony 70-400 with a 1.4 TC mounted on a 42mp FF camera and the other a Tamron 150-600 mounted on a 24mp APS-C camera. The Sony is nearly 3 times the cost of the Tamron.

Your first sample has higher magnification but less edge acutance. The second seems better in that department, but with less magnification it's hard to tell.  My eyes might just be reacting to the apparently higher contrast. It's a bit of apples and oranges. I'd prefer the lens that made the second image. It appears to have two advantages - acutance and contrast, if you did the test without changing other factors in post.

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow