Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ian L Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

So i do a lot of interior and exterior building shots (commercial, real estate etc).

I know about and use the perspective correction in LR. But I've been wondering if it would be worth using an actual tilt shift lens?
I currently primarily shoot with a Nikon D850, but I also have a canon 5D mk IV.

I'd prefer to just use one camera body on a shoot. But, the canon has the widest tilt-shift lens and I'd prefer the wider shot.

So i have a few questions/concerns and I'm hoping someone else might have had to make the same choice and can give me some feedback.

1. First off - does it make a noticeable difference compared to just correcting in LR? It looks like for a more extreme correction, the lens does a better job. Plus I wouldn't have to crop the photo like you have to do sometimes with LR's tools.

2. If you do use a tilt shift lens, do you only use it when you need to correct for perspective? Or do you use it as one of your main lenses?

3. I can pick up a used canon 17mm TS lens for about $1700. There don't seem to be any used 19mm nikon TS lenses, so that would cost me $3100 new.

4. I imagine i'd be using this outside most often and not inside. In which case I think the difference between 17mm and 19mm isn't as critical. But if I'd ever wind up using this inside, I'd probably want the 17mm.

In an ideal world I could get the cheaper, wider lens and use it on the nikon so i don't have to carry two cameras with me. But considering i can get the canon lens for almost half the price of the nikon lens, and it's a little bit wider, i'm leaning towards that one. 
Anyone know why there's such a huge price difference between the canon and nikon lenses?

Ian L's gear list:Ian L's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon D850 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow