Which of these looks sharper/better to you?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
TheSonyEnthusiast
TheSonyEnthusiast Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Which of these looks sharper/better to you?

kiwi2 wrote:

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

The first shot is mine and I think the reason the first photo has the moon periphery out of focus is because teleconverter shrinks the already narrow depth of field of the 70-400.

I don't think you'd be having a DoF issue with something 400,000 kilometres away. It looks more like motion blur. Don't forget the moon is constantly moving across the frame unless you are tracking it on a EQ mount.

With the TC the f-ratio become slower and it exaggerates lens softness. What was the ISO and shutter speed?

While I will admit the shot was at 1/20 of a second, if it were motion blur it would affect the sharpness across the entire image.  The reason I think it may be depth of field is due to the preciseness necessary in manually focusing; I took a series of shots barely nudging the focus each time toward infinity, and a fraction of a millimeter either way resulted in less resolved craters.

-- hide signature --

I make my own repairs at home.

TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list:TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A77 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow