LX100ii - first impressions

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jon Schick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,435
LX100ii - first impressions

It's taken a while to set it up but having done that I'm really pleased with the LX100ii.

The size and control layout are excellent - I'm not a fan of tiny cameras and I like the manual controls that enable you to set things up while the camera is still switched off.  Touch AF is great, and fast and works really well in conjunction with the LVF.  And most of all, I'm really liking the images with this new sensor, which I'm finding a step up from my previous D Lux Typ 109 (aka LX100 with added Leica tax).

So far I've been experimenting with JPEGs, informed by various online reviews.

Monochrome images using the L Monochrome D setting are looking great straight out of the camera (although I think I may change to a more contrasty curve) and the images using the Natural setting with a few tweaks (noise reduction -3, sharpening and saturation +1) are looking great even without any PP - colours are definitely an improvement on the predecessor model.

I agree with others - the LVF is good but could be better, the LCD would be even more useful if it tilted, and it would be lovely if the camera had some weather sealing.  But it gets an awful lot right.

Not a camera for those who don't want to take control, and definitely one that requires a bit of effort to set it up the way you want, but well worth the effort I reckon.  I'll post some images once I've taken some worth sharing, but in the meantime, if you're thinking of getting one and the feature set works for you, then I'd highly recommend it.

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-H1 +14 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II
17 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 75 mm (3.1×)
Announced: Aug 22, 2018
Jon Schick's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic LX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow