Z7 Audio/Video lag on rear LCD while recording interview

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
erin_s New Member • Posts: 5
Z7 Audio/Video lag on rear LCD while recording interview

Hi all. My google searching is not helping on this issue, and I'm hoping someone here may have answers or recommendations on how to fix this problem with my Z7. I'm hoping maybe it's just a setting I need to adjust.

Here's the situation:

I was recording an interview for work at 1080p/24fps (high quality) with a Sennheiser wireless mic pack on my Z7/FTZ/70-200mm f2.8. VR off, flat picture control, custom kelvin white balance, screen tipped out to reduce glare. The audio coming through my headphones was near real-time as usual, but the video on the rear LCD was lagging behind and out of sync with the audio. Between questions, I stopped the recording to check the playback. The video file was synched properly. I restarted the recording and it lagged nearly immediately again. In a 5 minute interview, it never caught back up. I checked the video file when we were done, and again, it was synched properly.

I should add that I did *not* notice this lag while testing the microphone the day before in our studio. I was using a 24-70 2.8 for those tests, but otherwise settings were about the same. This was the first in-the-field interview use for my camera; it was purchased just a few weeks ago.

What's causing this visual lag while recording? Is there a way to fix it? I never had this issue with my D800, and I record interviews on every shoot for work. I need to be able to monitor in real-time. (Although I do appreciate that the file is proper in the end; I used to have to sync external audio and D3s footage, and that was a BEAST to deal with.)

Let me know if there's any other information that might be helpful in diagnosing this issue. Thanks so much.

Nikon D800 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow