D500 shutter blades damaged!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bildeb
bildeb Regular Member • Posts: 230
D500 shutter blades damaged!

I bought my D500 new from B&H 7 months ago. Last week I was taking photos with it and the shutter locked up. Only 3043 shutter clicks. I immediately packed it up and send it to Nikon. A few days later Nikon described the problem:

"Reason for Service:
THE SHUTTER BLADES ARE DAMAGED SHUTTER NOT WORKING, SEE LETTER
DISPLAYS ERROR MESSAGE ON LCD CLEAN AND CHECK ALL FUNCTIONS

Total Amount $0.00
This repair is covered under warranty."

I asked them what caused the problem? They said:

"Unfortunately there is no way to tell how the blades got damaged it can happen all different ways.
Also we can't guarantee that it won't happen again it shouldn't ,but we can't determine if anything will happen in the future."

I'm certainly glad they are not charging me anything but I am concerned that it may happen again? I've had many many Nikon cameras and have never had a shutter failure.

I am always super careful with my cameras so I can't think of anything I can do to help keep that from happening again. Guess I'll always take a back up camera with me when taking photos is important!

I just wanted to pass this along to dpreview readers and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem?

bildeb's gear list:bildeb's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Sony a6000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 +8 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow