Anyone Skilled in COP vs LR/PS?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Skyler King
Skyler King Regular Member • Posts: 157
Anyone Skilled in COP vs LR/PS?

I'm having a bit of an issue with my post processing workflow. I was hoping that someone here who is skilled and knowledgeable could give me some solid advice or answers (as opposed to the "this has been asked a million times" type of response). 
I have always been happy with Lightroom. I will be honest and say that, years ago, I started out with a pirated version of Lightroom. I was actually so impressed with it that I ditched the pirated version and was happy to purchase the program. 
Later, I subscribed to the annual plan. You know, pay a few bucks a month and get several programs bundled together and always updated with the latest version.

Well, here is the issue;

With my old Fujifilm cameras (X10, X100, X-Pro1) I just used lightroom despite it not being "ideal" for Fuji files. I was happy enough with the results so I didn't let the "less than optimal results" bother me. I continued to use the newer and newer versions of Lightroom with all the cameras I owned (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax, etc) and was always very happy with the results. In fact, I started feeling like a Lightroom wizard, as I had figured out enough tricks and workarounds to do everything I needed and perform magic on my photos.

I am only recently getting back to Fujifilm and currently use the X-H1. What I am noticing is that I am actually very unhappy with the more extreme adjustment capabilities of my Fuji files. I have recently edited files from my X-H1, X-T1, and X-T30 and with all of them I notice that the files react very poorly to anything more than slight edits. I figured it was time to finally switch over to Capture One Pro, since that is the program that seems to get all the praise with Fuji files, and... I am still not happy.

I understand that I am not as comfortable or confident with Capture One as I am with Lightroom, and I have not learned as many tricks or workarounds, but the results I am seeing so far are actually making me wonder if I need to already consider moving away from Fuji, again. I don't want to, as I like Fuji for a lot of reasons and I really enjoy using the X-H1. But, man, these results with either Capture One or Lightroom are not at all confidence inspiring.

As it stands right now, I am actually seeing better results from my old Olympus E-M5ii files than I am from my Fuji files. I have been out of the loop for quite some time, though, so I want to believe that it comes down to user error. Unfortunately, even after watching so many YouTube videos, reading so many Google results, etc, I still can't seem to figure out what it is that I could be doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know that some of you are post processing masters and can do seemingly unreal things with a RAW file. Some of the photos I have seen posted, here, are just stunning. I am not having such great luck, though...

Skyler King's gear list:Skyler King's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow