Focus seemingly broken with 70-200 VR2

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Schome2 New Member • Posts: 3
Focus seemingly broken with 70-200 VR2

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about this issue I'm seeing.  My Z7 + FTZ when used with my Nikon 70-200 VR2 seems to have developed focusing issues.  I'm pretty sure this wasn't happening before, but I can't be certain.

Issue: when trying to focus, the Z7 will fail to lock on to subject, and you'll hear the focus motor quickly jerk back and forth, and the image on the screen will appear to "pulsate" as the focus motor is jerking.  See the video here:  (turn volume up and pay attention to the loud foreground noise, not the baby playing in the background)

As you can see from the video, the camera is on single point AF-S.  It seems the issue only appears when using f/5.6 or higher.  At f/5 it struggles but eventually locks.  And below that, I don't seem to have a problem.

It doesn't consistently happen in all situations, but somehow it feels to me like it's getting worse.

I have other FX lenses (Nikon and Sigma) and they work just fine at all apertures.  Z lens works fine.

I thought maybe it's an issue with the len contacts, but attempting to clean them with some rubbing alcohol didn't help any (I've never done this before so it's possible I did it wrong).

Lastly, when I put the 70-200 on my D850 it seems to focus just fine, hence the reason I'm posting here.

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is related, but I'm noticing that when I try to shoot with a high aperture like f/16+, the live view preview looks fine but the final photo is way over exposed and washed out.  I don't see this happening with my other lenses.

Thanks.

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow