c h u n k
OP c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
Re: SPIDERS! YAY!

colacat wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

colacat wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

colacat wrote:

I enjoy everyone of it, really nice photos!

I recently tried to make my new diffuser with new material, I don't remember how many version I have been done , but I think this will be the final version

Will try to post some photos soon

I actually just made another diffuser too. Primarily for longer working distances that is the main issue I have with the 100mm macro. Amazing how just a few inches make it so much harder to get good, nice light. Im very happy with the results Im getting with it though. And, yeah, its like the 20th diffuser Ive engineered. Im about to make another one for my twin flash, and Im excited about the idea - hopefully results justify my excitement. Ive had other "good ideas" they ended up with subpar results.

Diffusers are all about making good quality, soft light, controlling specular highlights. Ideally they would be quickly adjustable for different scenarios, but that is difficult. The other big thing for me is that they can quickly fold down to being able to stuff in my bag without damaging them. I really want a 3d printer solely for diffusion designs. Its really odd how this need has been entirely overlooked even if considering how niche it is. Kazillions of Gary Fong knock offs, and other diffusers, let alone the massive market for larger softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, etc etc. but if you want to find a good manufactured macro diffuser, nothing exists. At least nothing that even comes close to our diy designs.

We are on the same boat , I keep searching for a commercial products for the twin flash for many years , and not found anything yet until recently I've found a guy with his terrific macro work , he actually quite generous to share how he makes the diffuser for his work , he even sells the whole set (a modified version of third party speed light + diffuser )online. I didn't bother to buy the whole set because I already have the Canon MT-24ex , so I asked him about the material that he uses to make the diffuser , he told me that he uses vinyl lampshade as diffuser material. I am still working on it , hopefully will get it done by the end of the week.

Talking about the size of the diffuser , I would want a portable size as well, but I found that if the diffuser's too small, it would give harsh hot spot no matter how many layers of material I put on to diffuse the light. The larger the better , I am looking for a perfect size which would give me beautiful diffused light but not turning the diffuser into 2 light bulb. I will post my work later on

Can't wait to see your work with your next generation of diffuser

Remember, its not the size, or lack of that controls how soft or hard light is. It is also the distance from subject. The sun is a HUGE light source, but its light to us earthling is very hard because its distance makes its effective size very small (about the size of my thumb). Some macro lenses or rigs cause very close working distances which makes it much easier to light. My last design is a lot smaller, but the light is much softer because the diffuser stays right along the lenses field of view.

Totally agree with you , the size is not all about the diffuser, the distance between the lens and the subject and the distance between the light and the diffuser both need to be considered in making a diffuser as well. I've not yet found any solution to diffuse the light with smaller diffuser since the mt-24 dual light is attached in front of the lens. They are so closed to the subject, I got 2 of the mini ball head to bring up the height of the light , but I hope it could be taller. I might try the dual arm if my version doesn't work well .

I have 2 7 inch friction arms on my twin flash. Here is recent shot with new diffuser for single flash

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow