Looking for advice to buy 2 qty infrared shutter controlled cameras for DIY book scanner

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
diligentdave New Member • Posts: 1
Looking for advice to buy 2 qty infrared shutter controlled cameras for DIY book scanner

Hello. I am following instructions to make a DIY book scanner that uses 2 qty infrared shutter controlled digital cameras to take close up photos of book pages. One of the links on YouTube is shown here—

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne-h7FTMZBk&ab_channel=BookScanning

He shows he found & bought 1 qty Pentax RZ18 and 1 qty Pentax VS20 cameras to use (or, he says, one can get any infrared controlled shutter cameras for this).

Reading a review of the VS20, (here— https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_optio_vs20_review/conclusion) it said its good, but sometimes shots can be out of focus in a point & shoot. Of course, photos I'll take once the cameras are mounted on a DIY book scanner, will be pretty much from the same range. So, I am too stupid to know if the review stuff I read even would likely apply (or not)! I'm guessing probably not. But hey, what do I know, I only shoot photos with a smart phone (as things are now).

I'm hoping to pick up a couple of good infrared controlled shutter cameras that will give me high resolution photos of pages I can trim, OCR, and sage all the photos as JPG files, trim them, convert those trimmed JPG files into PDF files (I know how to do that), and then OCR them online to convert text to something word searchable (I also know how to do that).

The review I read said the Olympus SZ-14 might be a more stable alternative on the "point & shoot" (auto focus?) shots. Also, it said its batteries (on the Pentax VS20 wore out quickly, and memory options that are bigger capacity are important, & their price).

Like the cameras the DIY Book Scanner guy from the UK had, it doesn't matter if both cameras are necessarily the same. Just trying to get a couple of good lightly used cameras at as low a price possible (that will work well).

I'm don't want to be penny wise & pound foolish on one hand. Not trying to spend a wad of money, on the other hand.

What would you give on this?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax Optio RZ18 Pentax Optio VS20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow