UWA lens choice

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 5,790
Re: UWA lens choice

Jen Kuiper wrote:

Tamron 17-30 f2.8-4 or the z mount 14-30 f4?

I have the 17-30, but can return it. I thought the 2.8 would be good for astro at the widest focal length, but I live in the overpopulated mid-atlantic, and I will not be in good 'dark places' very often.

The Z mount is wider, holds aperture throughout, and is lighter. It will probably do the trick for 99% of my uses, but is a twice the cost.

Good enough reasons to switch?

Pondering the under $300 rokinon 14mm F-mount if I really want astro. Not sure I'd go for the almost twice as expensive new z-mount version untested.

J

Can't tell you between the tamron & nikon.  I have the 14-30, but I've never used the Tamron.

Regarding other options, I'd recommend you not get the Rokinon (which I also own).  It's a pretty poor lens wide open.  It's also very hard to focus at night--so eventually, I just took mine apart and manually realigned the focus ring to hard stop at infinity.

Instead, I'd either save up to get a much faster lens or rent one when it's needed.  I personally like the 20mm F/1.8, which is more than twice as fast as a 2.8 lens wide open.  In other words, instead of a 30-second exposure, you could use less than 15-seconds to gather as much light--or get twice as much light at 30-seconds.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow