Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP stanton Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
THIS IS WHAT BOUGHT Re: Decent new PC for old photographer

I didn't think I was coming home with a computer today, but I did. Here's what followed me home:

Dell Alienware Aurora R7 Gaming Desktop PCIntel Core i7-8700 Processor 3.2GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 16GB Intel Optane Memory

Dell Alienware Aurora Desktop Computer

I wanted something that might check all the boxes- and this one seems to. i7-8700, check. GTX1070 graphics, check. 16GB ram, check. $900. For $60 more I bought a Crucial 500GB SSD drive to replace the HDD. The total including accessory cable and SSD mount at just under $1100 including tax, 10,25% of that going to the People's Republic of Chicago.

The first step in the setup will be to bring the OS to the SSD. Hopefully all will go smoothly in the transition.

The closest thing that I could find was the Dell XPS8930 with 16GB ram with a GT 1030 card vs the Aliens GTX1070. And the 8930 was only $100 cheaper than the Alien. I understand the GTX1070 sells for about $350 on its own.

The bottom line is that i'm not sure I could do better (at least on paper) for the money. I want to thank everyone who replied. You guys gave me crash course in current computer tech and I couldn't be more grateful.

Next? A new monitor to replace my 10 year+ NEC 2690WUX.  Thoughts? 27" and bigger, please.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow