Cheap reach

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 4,588
Re: Cheap reach

olindacat wrote:

Budget is under 500. I wonder (out loud) if the 80-200 in DX mode is the way to go. Can prob find one on the Bay for around the 400 mark. Has anyone bought from Japan? I wonder f they are scammers out there. Not the people, of course, just those selling in foreign countries, so heavily, as it seems thy do there...

I'd probably choose a 70-300mm AF-P FX over the 80-200mm in DX mode, especially since it looks like you are primarily shooting handheld. That lens is $550, but can probably be found used for less with your budget.

Here are some other options.

• At $649 new, the Sigma 100-400mm is a budget buster for you, but long term I think it's a better fit to your needs.
  • At ~$500 used, the older 80-400mm VR is an option. I've never used one, but even by Nikon's own measurements the VR is less effective than on newer lenses, and its AF speed is quite slow.
  • Also at < $500 used, you could buy a Sigma 150-500mm lens. My copy took a 3-foot fall the other day, so I'm withdrawing my offer to sell it until I can have it checked out. I've used that lens successfully for motorsports, tall ships, the solar eclipse and some wildlife. It's not up to the standards of, say, the Nikon 200-500mm, but that's pretty much the definition of "cheap reach."

One caveat on the 150-500mm -- It may require a firmware upgrade to work with the latest firmware on the D810.

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow