Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
shutterbug61 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

DavidC wrote:

I have not read through all the posts but I would not myself buy a machine with only an integrated graphics capability AND I wanted to use Photoshop. My Dell XPS 15 9550 came with an integrated Intel 630 and a separate Nvidia 960m, but PS would not use its advanced performance features like Open CL until I specifically told PS to use the Nvidia card in the Nvidia Contol Panel. I guess if I had no separate graphics card PS would be curtailed.

I suspect that your problem originated with having two separate GPUs and the supposed intelligent switching between them done by the Intel Integrated Graphics driver. We ran into many problems with this a few years back when upgrading to Windows 10 on my sister's Lenovo ThinkPad W510 that has both Intel integrated graphics and Nvidia Quadro FX 880M discrete graphics.

Adobe's Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ states that,

Photoshop currently doesn't take advantage of more than one graphics processor. Using two graphics cards does not enhance Photoshop's performance.

Multiple graphics cards with conflicting drivers can cause problems with graphics processor accelerated features in Photoshop.

Both Intel UHD 630 and AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 integrated graphics meet or exceed the minimum requirements for Photoshop with respect to support for OpenCL, OpenGL, and Shader Model. Although, as benchmarks have shown, AMD's Vega 11 performs much better than Intel's UHD 630.

I can't personally vouch for how Photoshop will perform on a machine with only integrated graphics as I've moved away from Adobe and now use DxO PhotoLab and Affinity Photo, both of which take full advantage of multiple CPU cores/threads (with photools,com's IMatch thrown in for DAM).

As always, YMMV.

shutterbug61's gear list:shutterbug61's gear list
Olympus C-5050 Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow