Please recommend a fast AND light lens for travel?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MP0710 New Member • Posts: 16
Please recommend a fast AND light lens for travel?

Hello all!

I recently made the switch from 4/3 to Sony FF, and I'm shooting with an A7II and Batis 25 f2. I'm actually thinking of selling the Batis and getting the 16-35 f4. I like shooting wide, I do far more with landscape photography and environmental portraits, and I'm a hobbyist and I prefer the flexibility and reach of zooms. With my 4/3, I loved my Olympus 12-40 but did wish I had something a bit wider.

I'm heading to Thailand at the end of the summer and would like to get a fast and light prime to complement the 16-35 f4 and I'm feeling a bit stuck. I like the 35mm-ish focal length, and I don't like shooting 50/55--I find it a bit too tight for me. But a lot of the 35 lenses that I see are either light and slow (with bad reviews) or fast and huge. I'd prefer AF.

Can anyone recommend lenses to look at? I'm fine with 3rd party but would prefer native, no adapters. Also, will I miss out by not having a short telephotos? In which case, would a 16-35 and 85 combo make sense?  I anticipate the 16-35 being the primary lens and the 85 (or 35? 40?) for night time, etc.

So potential combos:

A: 16-35 f4 + Sony 85 f1.8

B: 16-35 f4 + something in the 35-40 range

C: Keep Batis 25 f2, and something else? But then I feel like I'd want something wider and 25 seems a bit too wide as an all around lens (then moving me into a 3 lens set up, which I'd like to avoid)

Thank you!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow