Keep Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC or not?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SushiEater
SushiEater Veteran Member • Posts: 9,662
Re: Keep Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC or not?

Peter in Canberra wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

I had this lens and upgraded to G2 so if your 70-300mm is sharper than there is something wrong with your Tamron.

thanks Sushi

that is possible. I bought it knowing there was some fungus on the front element.

I thought I could clean it. I successfully removed the front element but the fungus turns out to be between the 2 fused lenses of the front element, so that didn't help.

One 'test' I had done was shooting a farmhouse and surrounds at a distance @ 200mm on both, on a tripod and the AF-P was clearly better. Another was in a church setting, and I could get legible text in the missal on the altar with the 70-300 but for the Tamron it wasn't as good.

I got a quote on replacing the front element - Aust$385.

So, can I rephrase my question.

If I have a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC that functions properly, what are the reasons to keep it.

If the lens functions properly it would be sharper than 70-300mm even close to wide open. I was shooting at F3.2 and unless I had to (in the sun) I never stopped down. Of course at 300mm you would get closer and lay more pixels for more details but you would need to go to F8 to get full sharpness. That is why we are buying these heavy large lenses so we can shoot wide open in low light.

And replacing the front element might not be the only problem. G1 can only be adjusted to the camera at one FL. If you are sending it to Tamron you need to send your camera too so they can adjust it to your camera.

BTW, I sold G1 and bought G2 for it's ability to adjust focus on the Tap-in console and then sold G2 and bought Sigma Sport because Sigma does not have focus breathing compared to Tamron and overall better build with more functions.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow