Z7 auto ISO seems seriously flawed

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,407
Re: then don't use it

j2scriba wrote:

Thanks to you, Peter, in particular for giving the matter some thought rather than assuming I didn't know what I was talking about. You seem to agree that there is no other setting which would achieve what I was trying to achieve but just a couple of work-arounds.

I will probably use M 2/250 with fixed ISO as a an alternative "dark mode" and push the pictures in post. I had hoped I could find some semi-automatic setting that would prevent me from having to fiddle with camera settings while driving a car.

And before someone points it out: Getting out of a car gets you "better" pictures, but in this case I'm pursuing an artist concept that's precisely about bad pictures from a moving car.

Something to think about...

If you're going to go with the option of underexposing and then pushing your photos in post then there is really no reason to not simply set a higher max ISO to begin with.

The sensor is pretty much ISO invariant past ISO 800.  You're going to get roughly the same amount of noise in the image by pushing in post that you would get by shooting at a higher ISO and not pushing in post.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow