Cheap reach

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
olindacat Regular Member • Posts: 294
Cheap reach

Hi. In the market for some cheap reach. Had the 70-200 2.8 VR1 and offed it along with my 14-24 thinking I might migrate away from the system, but find myself shooting again (D810) and with DX 18-135 that I got on a D100 for $20 from some dude off CL.

Most of the stuff I am shooting is B-roll of flora and golf stuff, e.g., ball washers, buildings, etc., and people playing. I used to shoot 400mm 2.8 during events, but it was my friend's glass I'm no more there now.

Shooting golfers and really need more along the lines of 400mm FX. 300 is okay, and I know the 70-300 is out there, not sure it is a good lens, but can't be any worse than the 18-135 dx I got for free.

As you can see, wide open I'm not getting that isolation, and ideally I'd see reflections off his eyes, etc. Looking for a thinner film plane feel. Don't need speed but AF is important as my eyes not so good anymore.

I have a 60 2.8 that is good for plants, etc., but am moving around the course fast and don't always have the luxury of snuggling up.

I thought about an old 80-200 2.8 af-s. The D810 I have is a wonky POS and its connections sometimes don't work. I had a decent copy of the 80-200 I almost bought, but it wasn't paying nice with the body. I'd sell that, but the CF pins are bent, and don't feel like screwing anybody.

Budget is under 500. I wonder (out loud) if the 80-200 in DX mode is the way to go. Can prob find one on the Bay for around the 400 mark. Has anyone bought from Japan? I wonder f they are scammers out there. Not the people, of course, just those selling in foreign countries, so heavily, as it seems thy do there...

Nikon D100 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow